November 29, 2011

Our Christmas Tradition

For the past few years J and I have started a tradition to give back to our community and adopt Angels so that they may have a Happy Christmas too.  Usually, we adopt a couple of them from John's work, but since he switched divisions, and is currently deployed, we didn't know where we were going to get our Angel from.

When J was home in November, we needed to go to Walmart to deal with his prescriptions, and I noticed that they had a Salvation Army Angel Tree set up.  While J was handling his order, I went over to see what the kids were asking for this year.  Most wanted toys, crafts, bicycles. One child wanted educational toys...and a PS3 lol.  But one child...Dustin, his toy wish was 'Anything'.  I nearly started crying right there in the store.  Needless to say, we found out Angel and we went on a shopping spree for the 7 year old boy.

I normally budget about $50 give or take for each child (since we normally do two) and just get them toys or whatever they have asked for.  It's never exact, but it's a good place for it. Since we were just doing one child this year, and it does ask to purchase an outfit or coat I made it $100 - $150.

Well, I made my budget and we spent $150 on him.  It was fun seeing J get all excited about buying toys for him.  Even the clothes!  "We need to get him a pair of bluejeans....every boy should have a pair" he said.  He was so cute.

I hope that Dustin has a Merry Christmas this year, and that fulfilled that 'Anything' wish for him :)

Altogether we got him: Operation, Hot Wheels Double Loop, Extra Hot Wheels, Lego City Spaceship, Kre-O Transformers Bumblebee, Crayola art set, Giant Coloring Book, Cargo Pants, Jeans, sweatshirt, 2 longsleeve shirts, touque (beanie), mittens, socks and undershirts.     

7 comments:

Little Lamb said...

That is so awesome!!! I want to make this a Christmas tradition too! You did a great job of making your money stretch a VERY long way. Do you think you could have gotten as much in Canada? I think our prices much be quite a bit higher. Just curious. I might need to start cross boarder shopping! :)

Anonymous said...

That is such a wonderful tradition. You have inspired me to do the same. Great job getting so much for $150!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I would have started crying right then and there too. You got a lot of stuff for $150.00...great job!!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tradition.

Judy

~Carla~ said...

Love it!! What a blessing you're being for this litte boy! Not only awesome toys but nice, warm clothes! :)

Mysti said...

I know he will love all of it!!!

Jolie said...

Nothing can replicate the feeling you get when you buy for someone, as you have done. Blessings upon you for teaching your family that wonderful feeling of giving.